Tuesday, May 1, 2012

another first

Last year I was reading an article in a magazine about using eggshells as seed starters. They are biodegradable and are a source of calcium.  I finally decided to try it.  I have been saving shells for a while in the refrigerator.  I think you are suppose to wash them to get any remaining yolk or white out.
I put soil in the eggshells and added the seeds and watered.
that is a stick not a worm :-)
As you can see, the egg carton is made of clear, plastic. I am hoping this is an added bonus and will act as a terrarium and help the seeds sprout.
Hope this will help the seeds and soil stay moist
The only other drawbacks were that:
1) there is no drainage hole so I don't know if I overwatered
not the neatest I have planted
2) if a seed needed lots of depth (1 inch or more) it was difficult to find that much room

No comments:

Post a Comment